Report on the state of Josef Sudek's studio

Praha 1
Exhibitions
Photography
Date
15. 05. 2026 - 21. 06. 2026
ENDED
Venue
Újezd 30, 110 00 Praha 1

When Miroslav Hucek (1934–2013) spent several days in 1987 documenting the state of the late photographer Josef Sudek's (1896-1976) studio in Újezd, he found it in the greatest upheaval.


He did so with documentary rigor, not only recording the exact date, but also the direction of his shots on the accompanying sketches. The wooden structure, used by Sudek from 1927 until his death, was orphaned after a fire in 1985 and the forced departure of the author's sister, Božena (1897–1990), completely given over to uninvited guests. A substantial part of the artist's photographic estate and art collection had already been taken away by Anna Farová, and Sudek's offer to donate the studio equipment to the National Technical Museum was only partially used. However, the author's friends Jindřich Brok and Josef Ehm pushed for the reconstruction at the then Ministry of Culture, the project was even finished and the first work began (dismantling the building and storing some of the markers – including the famous windows), but after 1989 no one was able to get to it. In 1995, Jan Mlčoch and Pavel Scheufler tried to resurrect the project, but without success. Five years later, the PPF company of Petr Kellner, an admirer of Josef Sudek's work, took over the project and, with the help of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague, opened the studio in 2000. For more than a quarter of a century, it has become not only a reminder of its famous owner, but also a sought-after gallery focusing mainly on the work of young Czech photographers.


In the 1980s, several Czech photographers documented the ruins of Sudek's longtime workplace and home. However, Miroslav Huck's collection stands out for its matter-of-factness, refraining from unnecessary sentimentality.


curators: Jan Mlčoch, Lucie Mlynářová

Report on the state of Josef Sudek's studio

Related events