
FINALS! & Bohuslav Fuchs Prize
02. 06. 2026 - 05. 06. 2026
Faculty of Architecture BUT in Brno / Brno
The Czech School of Architecture in Brno was established after the establishment of the Czechoslovak state in 1919, when long-standing efforts to establish a department of architecture and civil engineering at the Czech Technical University in Brno came to fruition. In the school year 1919/1920 the first year of studies was opened and the architect Prof. Karel Hugo Kepka was appointed dean.
The new department was created gradually. At first, some teachers of the civil engineering department provided teaching, but soon new teachers arrived. The first professors were architects Prof. Karel Hugo Kepka and Prof. Emil Králík. After them were gradually appointed prof. Adolf Liebscher, prof. Vladimír Fischer, prof. Jaroslav Syřiště and prof. Jiří Kroha. The spatial location of the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering was not good. The theoretical subjects were located in the main building of the Czech Technical College, the specialist institutes were located in dismal premises in rented flats of tenement houses. The construction of a separate pavilion for the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering, planned since the mid-1920s, did not take place and the Department was moved from the rented buildings to the Mechanical Engineering Pavilion and the third floor of the then new building of the Faculty of Law on Veveří Street in 1934. During the economic crisis, the Brno School of Architecture was also in danger of disappearing. However, thanks to the efforts of the faculty, students and public support, the school was prevented from closing down.
Although the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering at the Czech Technical University in Brno was not fully completed during the First Republic, a great deal of work was done in the 20 years of its existence under difficult conditions. During this period, the Brno School of Architecture developed into a significant school where architectural studies were raised to a European level. The school became one of the centres of theoretical and creative work from which the Czech progressive avant-garde drew. During the Nazi occupation, numerous teachers and students of the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering took an active part in the national resistance and many of them were imprisoned in concentration camps. Vladimír Krondl, Jaroslav Poledník, Hugo Foltýn, Vladimír Neumann and others perished.
In 1945, Brno's technology was restored with an independent department of architecture and civil engineering. Much effort had to be made to provide space, to replace the personal losses in the teaching staff and to cope with the large number of students who wanted to catch up in the shortest possible time with what the occupation had left behind. The Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering was supplemented in the post-war years by prof. Antonín Kurial, prof. Bohuslav Fuchs, prof. Bedřich Rozehnal, prof. Vincenc Makovský, prof. Miloslav Kopřiva and prof. Alois Kral. The first post-war rector of the Czech Technical University in Brno was the architect Prof. Jaroslav Syřiště.
The new law on universities of May 1950 introduced the faculty establishment and incorporated related institutes into departments as basic departments. The original departments were upgraded to faculties. In the Faculty of Architecture and Civil Engineering, five departments were created from the former 11 institutes. Newly organised deaneries were created at the faculties, faculty councils (later scientific councils) were established and the faculties began to work on a new basis. Thanks to the influence of the personality of Prof. Bohuslav Fuchs, the faculty was not dissolved and incorporated into the then Military Academy, but as of 1 September 1956, Brno Technology was restored in almost its entire original scope with the new name Higher Technical Education in Brno. The head of the school from 1958 was the architect Prof. Vladimír Meduna. In 1960, the Faculty of Architecture and Civil Engineering was merged with the Faculty of Civil Engineering into the newly established Faculty of Civil Engineering. The first dean of the Faculty of Civil Engineering was the architect Prof. Zdeněk Alexa.
In the mid-1970s, the usefulness of studying architecture within the unified Faculty of Civil Engineering was considered. The merger of the faculties did not achieve the expected improvement in the quality of teaching in the field of architecture and urban construction, as the specific needs of the education of architects were not sufficiently respected. Therefore, in 1976 a separate Faculty of Architecture with the study field of architecture and urban planning was established by separating it from the Faculty of Construction. The first dean of the faculty was appointed Assoc. František Bartek. During the late 1970s and 1980s a number of other professors were appointed to the faculty. Since 1987, Prof. Miroslav Martinek has been the dean.
After November 1989, Prof. Ivan Ruller was elected the new dean of the Faculty of Architecture. A path of major reorganization began. A new concept of studying architecture was adopted and the structure of the faculty was changed. Institutes were created from the original departments and a new two-stage model of study was introduced - Bachelor's and Master's. In 1994, the dean of the faculty, prof. Alois Nový. It was possible to open the school more to the professional public and to establish contacts with domestic and foreign collaborators. Since 2000, the faculty was headed by doc. Josef Chybík. The school underwent further reorganisation, new departments were established - studios, institutes and centres. In 2006, Prof. Vladimír Šlapeta took over the management of the school in order to benefit from the experience of Prague technology. The faculty underwent a number of structural changes, strengthened its international position and established cooperation with IIT Chicago. In 2014-2018, the school was headed by Assoc. Jan Hrubý. After legislative irregularities, the faculty managed to stabilize and gradually reorganize with the creation of new departments and the arrival of young teachers.
